Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Tanner-Williams Family


June 14, 2011

Dear Mom,

I want you to know how very thankful I am that I am your son. You have been a great mom all my life—and still are. You have asked me on occasion if I know how much you love me. I do know that you have loved me unconditionally, I have felt it and seen it in action. There are so many times and ways you have helped me throughout my life. Thank you mom, from the bottom of my heart.

I love you mom and happy 80th birthday,

-Eldon



April 30, 2011

At the age of 5 I remember the butterflies and excitement that ran through my body as the day came closer when I got to go to Disneyland with Gram. A tradition she started with the grand kids and it was now, finally my turn. Gram had been to Disneyland several times before but her enthusiasm and excitement would never wane for it was not Disneyland she loved, it was watching us kids with our excitement and happiness that brought her true Joy. She had a way of making every one of us feel so special and that we were her favorite child there ever was.

A few years later, everyone was at Grams house for dinner, I did not feel well and was lying on the couch with a tummy ache. Gram left the dinner table and came and sat on the couch with me and had me lay my head on her lap. As she rubbed my head there was something almost magical about her touch, an ease and peace went over me, a comfort knowing Gram was there and I would be ok.

As a young teenager, my life became filled with sports, school and work. Time slipped away and spending quality time with Gram seemed far and few between. However, every time I saw her, her genuine smile and open arms would wrap around me and that feeling of overwhelming love and admiration would run through me.

At the age of 27 I got the opportunity to go on a Cruise with Gram. My feelings as the day came closer were a repeat of the feelings I had the days before Disneyland, pure joy and excitement. I waited for Gram at the airport and as I was gazing over the crowd nervous that I needed to find Gram, I spotted her coming down the escalator with a priceless smile beaming across her face, eyes locked on mine, I instantly knew it was going to be ok … Gram was there.

In February of 2011, Gram came to Arizona for a visit. I picked her up one morning to take her with me to the hair salon where I worked. As I watched her getting her things ready, I was overcome by the feeling of love, memories of her in my life flashed before my eyes. As I walked with her into the salon this sense of great pride came over me. I wanted everyone to meet her and know that she was my Grandmother, and that her name was Helen, and I was named after her.

I love you Gram, Happy Birthday.

Love, Helen



Dear Gram,

This letter is long overdue. It has been years since I saw you last and because of this I am faced with the question; who and what is really important to me? I find myself looking back on the last handful of years and evaluating my life. I have gone through many stages of growth, both good and bad, but growth nonetheless. I do regret not including many members of my beloved family in my endeavors. It seemed easier to just live and learn on my own. I have been through experiences that caused me to choose to keep people at a distance. It wasn’t until recently that I have realized that it is okay to let people in and to allow them to see my vulnerability.

You are one of the few people in my life that I do think of as a positive influence. I think of the trials and tribulations that you overcame in your life and it gives me strength. When I think of all you have accomplished, I am in awe. Gram, you were able to experience every aspect of life, and do it all with such triumph. You had successful businesses, amazing travels, wealth, spiritual strength, a great husband, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. You conquered everything that you tried. I want to be more like you.

I do not know what God has in store for me, but I have been searching for a direction in this life here on Earth. I want to jump all over the place and try different things all of the time. I see myself in so many different ‘hats’ and I don’t know which one I should wear. I see so many of my cousins settling down, getting married, and having kids, and it makes me wonder why my passions seem to be so different from all of theirs? When I wonder this, I think of you and how you were able to do it all. You were a fighter and I would like to think that I am too. The stories that I was told and the memories that I have of you cause me to conclude that you were always so powerful and passionate about everything that you did.

I admire you more than you will ever know. No list would be long enough to show you all of the times that you were the voice in my head, pushing me to keep going. You were the one that I thought of so often, when I felt like I couldn’t do something…Because you did it-all of it, and that gives me hope that I can too. I love you Gram. Thank you for being such a huge part of my life, even though we weren’t together in body, you were always with me in spirit. J I am blessed to know you.

Aloha, Barbie



Dear Gram,

Thank you so much for being the best grandma I’ve ever had. I really appreciate all you’ve done for me and thank you again for the amazing graduation/birthday present.

Happy Birthday!

Love,

Braxton



No comments:

Post a Comment