Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Shaeffer Family




Dear Helen,


I've been in the family for about four years and unfortunately for me, I never really got to know you until you stayed with our family in Provo last year. I'll never forget how hungry you were when you got off the plane and the only thing that sounded good was a cheese toast and a spoon full of peanut butter! Cheese toast has become a favorite snack of mine since then. I had such a great time getting to know the type of person you are and the life you have lived. My favorite thing about you being here was being able to listen to your wisdom and advice gained from your life experiences. I loved hearing about your your first love. I really enjoy a good love story and yours was good. I appreciated all the stories of your father N. Eldon Tanner. I feel immensely blessed to have married his great grand daughter. What an amazing father you have. I remember always feeling so great with you around, no matter what we talked about you always kept a gospel perspective. Thank you for raising a good son and a wonderful granddaughter. I will always be grateful to you.

Love,
Zach






May 25, 2011

Dear Gram,

Happy 80th birthday! You made it! 80 years of wonderful life! Look at all you have achieved in that time! It truly is amazing to think of all of the wonderful things you have accomplished and are yet to accomplish!

I feel so blessed to have you as my bright, beautiful, intelligent, wise, energetic, spiritual, funny, and loving grandma for all 23 years of my life. I think you are exceptional. You were never the type of grandma that spoils her grandchildren with petty gifts or the latest toy, but the type who spoils her grandchildren with life lessons, culture, manners, and wonderful stories (even if what we really wanted at the time was a dang toy!). Looking back at our relationship together, I can now really appreciate those gifts from you! I loved going to see “King Lear” with you at the Shakespearian Festival on my birthday. I loved learning how to knit from you and watching as you would knit row after row of perfect stitches. I loved learning proper table manners from you. I love love love hearing stories from your 80 years of wonderful adventures! Those are my favorite. When you came to visit me last September I felt so lucky to have one-on-one time with you so I could soak up all of your stories and wisdom we could fit into those 5 days! It was so fun seeing you with my little Ruby. You are such a nurturer and I really got to witness that when you would talk to her and hold her.

I love you so much Gram and I feel so blessed to have you in my life. Thank you for raising my dad. Thank you for always taking the time to teach us and help us to be better people. Thank you for being such a great example to us. Thank you for taking risks and being a strong woman and for teaching us to do the same. Thank you for all of them memories you have strived to make with us. I just want you to know, when you get old (because you aren’t old yet) and can’t take care of yourself, I want you to come live with me so I can take care of you. I’m a nurse you know! I can do it! I love you so much my gram. You are the greatest.

Love,

Rachel




No comments:

Post a Comment