Tuesday, June 21, 2011




The Pfutzenreuter-Beaton Family






April 29, 2011 (from Germany)

Dear Helen,

An 80th birthday is an excellent time to see what vacuum a person has filled out in life in general and for people close around. Before I express my observation from my point of view and from the heart, let me tell you that there was and is no vacuum where you have been in person and spiritually, in short – A giant, no less!

As we met the first time after you recognized that your daughter Joan got involved with a “person non a grata” you tried to prevent much grief for her. Unfortunately you were not successful. Maybe a lot commotion, aggravation and bitterness’ for her would have been absent. Fortunately, on the other hand, you would not have two additional and precious grandchildren from your daughter’s womb. Selfishly, I am glad that you failed in the attempt to save your daughter from me. First I would not have a gorgeous wife with an unbeatable character and wisdom, would not have experienced my own and an extended family (which you created), I probably would have not become a member of the church without the Beaton family and surrounding friends efforts. Not to forget Joan’s influence in this development. I am talking mainly about Joan’s better ones and there are plenty.

I have witnessed your impact on many lives, strong and positive in many cases. I also witnessed disappointments you endured in your life as you tried to meet your responsibility’s including the self-chosen ones as wife, mother, grandmother, mother in law and last not least a shining example to a lot of people inside and outside the church. This dear Helen is particularly extraordinary considering the challenges you had to overcome as a young woman through her first marriage and step by step with 4 little children. Remarkable indeed, and sure a good example for all those who struggle with their individual trials. Write a book, so others who need to be encouraged can draw more hope and see one can manage.

What did I get out of all that strong personality of yours? Well, to describe it one by one will take a while and a lot paper. But let me with you permission point out some highlights, a hit list:

Your excellent business sense has inspired me. I have adored your personality, like your sense of humor. Your tolerance is remarkable. I am a strong witness of that as I have been so many times a recipient of that virtue. I have experienced how you, unexpectedly, have developed even love for me. That is for sure the greatest gift of all the others I have undeserved received from your heart. You even took to my side when I was criticized from others around me. It would not make the highlights complete if I would not mention one of your many talents, the way you have built the strong bonds with in YOUR “Beaton’s Clan”, the family enjoys. That is I believe the most desirable achievement a person and in particular a MOTHER can have. This bond is one of the things which help me to stay in line, although occasionally I struggle with that. It is also this bond which helps every single person in this family. This bond is carried on from generation to generation to come. What more can one achieve in life?

I am proud, glad and happy to be associated with you Helen and will enjoy your company for many years to come!

With appreciation and love, your second son-in-law

Udo






May 8, 2011

Mother’s Day

Dear Mom,

It is hard to believe you have been alive for 80 years and I have been with you for 60 of those years! I think we have been through everything together. I put you through so much heart ache and as a Mother and Grandmother myself; I am starting to understand all you have done for me. It is sad that we have to get there to understand. I guess that is why the Savior had to suffer everything to have the compassion He needed to atone for all of us.

I have met a lot of Mothers in my life and I can truly say, I am so thankful that you are my mom. You have stood beside me and suffered with me, laughed with me and cried with me, taught me and listened to me and I know for sure you have always prayed for me. From the freezing snow in Hope to the raging river in Chilowack, from the rats and the “frogs” in Montreal to the freezing snow and raging river in Ottawa, from Calgary to Phoenix and now Oregon, we were together. Letting me go and letting me come back, over and over, with open arms, I knew you would love me and take me in. From babies to husbands, you were always there. You held me and stood by me and tried to lift me up while I ran into wall after wall after wall. I never like thinking back or remembering because I have this terrible habit of only remembering screw ups on my part but in remembering now, I see you loving me and supporting me.

Just writing this letter is opening my eyes a little more as to how the Savior looks at us, like you have watched over me, reaching out with open arms and hoping I would look up.

We had so many goods times. Road trips to Montreal and Ottawa, Disneyland and Utah, trips to Europe to buy, beaches in California, Mazatlan, Hawaii and Rocky Point, we were the team, my Mommy and me.

Now that we are together again and able to spend time with one another, I cherish every moment. I am thankful that the Lord has brought me to this place both physically and mentally. A place where I realize what a great blessing I have been given to spend more time cherishing you.

I am so thankful for you. You have taught me, played with me, philosophized with me, cried with me and laughed with me. I am sooo blessed to have you as a friend, and confidant, advocate and example but especially as my Mother.

With love,

Joan





6.8.2011

Dear Gram:

To write a letter about you, to you from one of your least expressive and communicative grandchildren, is to say the least a difficult task for me. I wish you could just reach into my soul and grab all of the wonderful and enriching memories we’ve had together. You have been a fundamental part of helping me become who I am today.

I remember growing up in your home off of Camelback Rd. in Phoenix and knowing that when I came home from school everyday I would have a loving and nurturing environment to walk in to. I was free to be a child and to have adventures in your back yard, I had access to the best Gold Fish in town right through the door of your amazing pantry, one of my favorite places in the world, or to just swim with Charlie (the pool cleaning machine) in your refreshing pool. You provided me with safety and peace.

I also remember learning of the importance of tradition, of cultures, and of family through your example. You gave me new experiences with foods like mussels and liver the latter of which the next door neighbors dog probably preferred more than I did. I was blessed to have had lived in a home with 4 generations of women who inspired me and taught me the power of being a strong-minded and courageous woman.

You took me to places like New York and England which allowed me to peak into pieces of your past. From Broadway to Bath, Battery Park to York, and from subways to the Tube I cherished every moment you had to offer me. I love the insight and wisdom you share with me every time I get with you.

I know you love me and I love you. You have enriched my life to no end and I will ever be grateful to you and to all you have done for me and for this spectacular family you have nurtured!

With all my love,

Your granddaughter, Jessica



Dear Grandma,

Arts and crafts, cooking, gardens, blackberries, play station, baby, summer vacations, exploring the California dessert, good advice, my first snowfall, grandfather clock, Grants Pass, backyard camping, and a whole lot more.

There are so many memories of you, dating as far back as my memory can take me. For the majority of my short life you have been the only grandparent I have known other then the short but great time I got to spend with grandpa. That leaves you with the pressure of setting the standard and basis for what a grandparent should be to me.

So I’m sure you are wondering how you did. What do I believe a grandma is based on my own personal experiences? A grandma is tough but gentle. She is stern but sweet. She kisses a lot and hugs tight. She sounds like mom when she yells and sounds like mom when she says I love you. She teaches good life lessons and isn’t afraid to say that you are out of line. No matter how mad she may be at me she loves me unconditionally.

So as you can see the seven letters that make up Grandma or even the eleven that make up grandmother don’t do justice to the heavy load the name brings. Even though it may be tough to take on such responsibilities you made it look easy. I know it probably wasn’t all that easy. At the least I know the endless fights me Dan, and Sabina would get in or my bed issue as a kid was not always easy.

Although I have not said so very often in my life and quite often people don’t say this enough anyway, Thank you for being my grandma and for being who you are.

I love you,

Kye Pfutzenreuter



May 2, 2011

Dear Grandma,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you. I am thankful for you. You are such a strong woman and a great person for anyone to look up to. You have taught me so many things and I would be nothing but lucky to turn out like you!

My fondest memories with you all have to do with crafts that we would do together! We’ve made candles, soap, temple pictures, etc. You knew how to occupy your grandchildren with meaningful things that would teach us something. I also remember helping you cut your roses from your gorgeous garden! I loved being in your garden because I always felt like a princess or something. Your garden was the best place for making up a new world from my imagination.

Of course, a memory that is probably mentioned more than a few times in this book is the famous Disneyland trip! It’s pretty much every five year olds dream to go to Disneyland and see all the characters they watch all the time on TV. You are amazing. I don’t know very many grandmothers that would go through all that time and work to bring ALL of her grandchildren to an amusement park. WOW! I am a lucky girl.

Grams, you are an inspiring woman; a woman that many look up to and rightfully so. I am so thankful for all you have done from your family and especially me! You are so loving to everyone. You’re a naturally nurturing woman, not just to your family, but to all who enter your home.

I love you Grandma and I hope you enjoy this book of memories!

Sabina Maria Pfutzenreuter






No comments:

Post a Comment